Saturday, June 01, 2013

How do I Communicate?

In reviewing the scores I gathered from the two individuals who took the survey, I was quite surprised at how close our scores were.  My husband and I were only one point away in each survey taken, and my friend and I were only points away as well.  We all agreed that I am people-orientated, concerned with others’ emotions, anxiety level is “situational” and I maintain a good balance between respect and consideration for others (Rubin, Palmgreen, & Sypher, 2009).  I was amazed at how well they could identify how I communicate.  I think the biggest thing that I have learned this week is awareness.  I am more aware of the strategies I use when listening, talking, using gestures, and how my communication differs amongst individuals.  My friend, who is also the teacher’s aide in my classroom, is also more aware of my communication abilities.  The other day she said, “Tammy, just spit it out.  Don’t beat around the bush.  I’m not going to be offended with the truth.”  This helped me realize that even though I am considerate and empathetic to others’ feelings, I must use my knowledge to speak the truth and have confidence in my viewpoints.

References
     Rubin, R. B., Palmgreen, P., & Sypher, H. E. (Eds.) (2009). Communication research

measures: A sourcebook. New York: Routledge.

5 comments:

  1. I also beat around the bush in some situations, especially in a situation I feel I don't have control. I am also people oriented in my communication.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Tammy,
    Great posting. I agree with you on how interesting it was to have close scores on the evaluations from two different people who are closed to you. I experienced the same also, I think scores would have been significantly different if the quizzes were taken from an extended relatives or friend. This assignment really was a form of awareness that allowed me to take a deeper look at myself based on the results. Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was very surprised also, of how close my sister and my colleague’s scores were to mine. Tammy you and I had the same results, we all agreed that I am people-orientated; I am very concerned about people emotions. We all shared the same concerns in the survey, according to O’Hair, D., & Wiemann, M. (2012, p. 52) “these assessments of self are important before, during, and after you have communicated, particularly when you’ve received feedback from other people”.
    Reference
    O'Hair, D., & Wiemann, M. (2012). Real communication: An introduction. New York: Bedford/St. Martin's

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great evaluation of yourself. I was also surprised at how close my friends' and husband's score was to mine. The only thing that they were way off on was my anxiety level.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My Boyfriend and I received the same scores which answered a lit of questions when it comes to how we communicate with each other. I think that my anxiety score was waaaaaaay off though and so was his.

    ReplyDelete