Saturday, February 23, 2013

Welcoming Families Around the World-


If I were to choose a “family” origin in which I knew nothing about, I would choose to learn more about the American Indian culture.  If I was to work at an early childhood center and I had a family enrolling their child, I would do the following.
·         Invite the family to our early childhood center and answer any questions they may have.  I would also request a home visit as we begin our journey learning more about one another, our hopes, visions and dreams for their child.  

·         In learning more about the American Indian culture from my new family, I would also independently research the American Indian culture to enhance my own knowledge and understanding.  I would also be proactive by asking any questions I may have along the way.  By asking questions, this would help build the bridge between home and school.   

·         I would continue to emphasize and explore the many cultural differences and similarities represented within the classroom.  This same/different theme would be built into the ongoing curriculum throughout the year with a tone of delight, interest and respect (Derman-Sparks & Olsen-Edwards, 2010). 

·         In addition to our differences and celebrations within culture, we would also be sure to focus on all characteristics of each child.  Such as the foods we like to eat, what makes us scared, what colors we like, and people we love, if we are a boy or girl, etc.

·        Most importantly, I would model respect for each child’s identity, respond openly to any questions or observations children may have, and initiate anti-bias learning opportunities for all children.  By using positive and accurate learning opportunities about human differences and similarities, this will give children a foundation for resisting incorrect and harmful messages about themselves and others (Derman-Sparks & Olsen-Edwards, 2010). 

By being open and culturally sensitive to the needs of this family, I hope these messages would facilitate feelings of appreciation, acceptances, and feel visible.

References:

  Derman-Sparks, L., & Edwards, J. O. (2010). Anti-bias education for young children and ourselves. Washington, DC: National Association for the Education of Young Children (NAEYC). 

 

4 comments:

  1. Hello Tammy!

    It is good to know that your aim is to facilitate appreciation and visibility in your environment. Undoubtedly, when children feel their presence in the classroom, it will encourage them to be more interested in their learning and also develop their self confidence and cultural identity. In light of your last sentence “by being open and culturally sensitive to the needs of this family, I hope these messages would facilitate appreciation, acceptance and, feel visible” I would change the word acceptance to tolerance. As educators, our aim should be to educate rather than indoctrinate. For instance, I am a Jamaican living in Japan. I respect the Japanese culture and I am very tolerant of differences, but there are aspects that I do not accept. This is very important because many people think that tolerance means acceptance and this is not always the case.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Tammy, Thanks for sharing and I like the American Indian family you have chosen to study more about.Great ideas of having an insight about their culture and the aspect of respecting each child's culture is the most important thing to do.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Trichelle-

    True. I can also relate being an American living overseas in Germany. There are differences in which I tolerate, but would rather do differently. Thanks for the comment!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice post and ideas.focusing on the individual child characteristics in terms of his abilities and challenges is necessary to know how to support the child in and out of classroom.every child has his or her own unique attributes,exploring those attributes would help the child
    open up and be more active in the classroom.

    ReplyDelete