Friday, February 15, 2013

The Personal Side of Bias, Prejudice, and Oppression-week 6


One memory that I clearly remember as a target of oppression happened when I was in high school.  My family continued to struggle financially and my parents were showing less interest in my schooling as they were dealing with marriage issues which lead to divorce.  I was soon to graduate and knew I wanted to continue my education, but didn’t know how to apply for financial aid, or which college to apply for.  I needed help in choosing a college, completing the paperwork, and if there were any grants available to apply for.  I was very nervous to talk with the counselor as I was the first to even consider continuing my education beyond high school.    When I discussed the idea of a 4 year college, she basically told me that I would be better off attending a technical college and gave me a packet of papers to fill out for financial aid.  I still remember that exact moment….standing outside her office with a stack of papers, feeling worthless, hurt, and hopeless.  To me, college was my ticket out of a life in which I hated.  I wanted to run away from the emotional abuse within my household, parents ignoring my needs, and living in a small town.  I felt like I was suffocating and needed a breath of fresh air.  I was at a dead end, and no one was helping me see the light at the end of the tunnel. 

My equity diminished as I felt I wasn’t given an equal chance at an opportunity all high school students dream about as they enter the next chapter in their lives.  I was feeling “left out” and “different” through circumstances that were not of my own (Laureate Education Inc., 2011).  I was a hard worker and dedicated to my studies, however, my external features appeared as if I didn’t care.  I often wore hand-me-down clothes and rarely participated in after school activities as I needed to work part time. 


If I was to rewind back to that day, I would have been more vocal in my wishes to attend college and should have turned to my high school language arts teacher for help.  She was someone I confided in and she was always there for me when I needed help with my studies.  I had such a low self-esteem and should have been more independent in researching and learning more about the grants available and the four year colleges available within my state.  I wish I could see her now and show her how far I’ve come in my life.  I would want to tell her, “See, I told you I could do it!”    


References
Laureate Education, Inc. (2011). In her Own Voice: Nadiyah Taylor [Course media].



  

6 comments:

  1. HiTammy,I can relate to such a feeling of being made to feel low.It is sad to know counselors who are supposed to understand better should give advise to students without finding out what they want to do and help them towards their goals.Good thing is you continued to follow your dreams and you are definitely happy today.
    Mary

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Tammy, it is sad to know that you had to endure such institutional prejudice and discrimination. Now that you are in a better position to speak out for yourself, if a similar situation should arise in the future, I hope that you will encourage target group members to speak out on their issues and concerns.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tammy, once again I would like to thank you for sharing your story. I am so glad that you were bold enough to share your story. I am also glad that you did not let your road blocks stop you from going to college. That shows your determination and speaks volumes about your character. Now you live overseas, your a mother, a wife and an educator! That is awesome! The struggles that you went through helped you become a stronger woman and that is what matters.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Enjoyed reading your post,especially your last statement "See, I told you I could do it!" Its sad when people in position of authority or power discriminate;sometimes the consequences of their action could cost a long term damage with someone with low self esteem.I think reading this makes one realize that every one can make it if given the right opportunity to do so.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Tammy thanks for sharing, and I can relate, with so much going on during the last few years of high school, all we needed was someone to help us fill out the paperwork for college or tell us how to do it. I can see we both pushed our way through because of our desires to have and do better for ourselves, and our families. I believe sometimes opression will push you to the next level.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete