Saturday, July 07, 2012

Sharing Web Resources


The website I chose to study is called The Global Fund for Children. Maya Ajmera founded the organization and is sought out nationally and internationally to address audiences on local and global philanthropy, global children’s rights, early childhood development, and social entrepreneurship (http://www.globalfundforchildren.org/about-us/people/).  

I chose to subscribe to the Global Fund for Children newsletter to learn more about issues that are occurring internationally, and how GFC helps children around the world.  One issue that caught my attention was the “The View on Inclusive Education for Children Living with Disabilities in Central Asia” that was discussed in last month’s newsletter.  This particular issue caught my attention as I teach young children with disabilities, and I am very passionate about equal learning opportunities and inclusion.  A three day conference, called the “Knowledge of Exchange Conference” was held in the Almaty province where 15 GFC representatives from across Asia came together to raise awareness and support for children who have disabilities.  The representatives at this conference all advocated for policy changes to ensure all children received a fair opportunity for children to learn.  For example, Bogdan Bashtovy, from Kiev Children and Youth Support Center in Ukraine, shared that parents have said that they think their child could get sick or contract a disability just from going to school with a child with cerebral palsy (from: http://www.globalfundforchildren.org/the-view-on-inclusive-education-for-children-living-with-disabilities-in-central-asia/).  Bogdan, a former social worker, founded this organization to help youth with disabilities that were regularly institutionalized during the Soviet era to attain the education and skills they need to gain some independence (from: http://www.globalfundforchildren.org/the-view-on-inclusive-education-for-children-living-with-disabilities-in-central-asia/).  With the help of GFC, grants are written and granted to small organizations around central Asia to increase awareness about children who have special needs and support policy changes for equal educational opportunities. 

4 comments:

  1. Hi Tammy
    I too work with children with disabilities and strive for equal access to education and full inclusion within the classroom routines. This would be extremely challenging when an entire culture has a negative view of people with disabilities, who would then deny a child access to an education. The right to an education (Article 26) is outlined in the Universal Declaration of Human Rights (http://www.un.org/en/documents/udhr).
    UNESCO (United Nations Education, Scientific, Cultural Organization) estimates that 650 million people have a disability of which 150 million are children. They have created the Education for All program which aims to provide tools and approaches to ensure the right to education for all. Here is a link to their page (http://www.unesco.org/new/en/education/themes/strengthening-education-systems/inclusive-education/children-with-disabilities/). Useful links on right hand side of the page describe the program and how education can become more inclusive.
    Carolyn

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Tammy,
    I am glad that people are seriously talking about inclusion. 10 years back when I tried to put my son in a general school, they refused saying he is autistic and therefore needs to attend special needs school. He has been forced to attend a special needs school hence. If given a chance I am sure he would have benefitted since special needs children would learn to interact better and function better in a non-disabled world. Since children learn by observing and imitating, peers would serve as role models thus fostering learning and development. Social competence, communication skills, and developmental skills would also have improved.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tammy,
    As you know, I chose this organization as well :) I am so amazed at the commitment of bettering communities through grassroots efforts. I did not read this article, but because of your awesome summary, I plan to go back and read it! Great post!
    Kristi

    ReplyDelete
  4. Tammy,

    Thanks for have such a great interest in inclusion and children with disabilities. I am very glad that there are people like you who advocates for the rights of children with disabilities. I am not subscribed to the Global Fund newsletter, but after your posting and sharing such a good information, I will go back to follow them, as well.

    ReplyDelete