Thursday, July 12, 2012

Getting to Know Your International Contacts-Part 1

Hello Colleagues-
Unfortunately, I have had no luck in communicating with an educator overseas.  I also tried locally here in Europe, but not only do elementary teachers get a long summer break, but many individuals are on holiday now.  So, I have chosen to read about the poverty in India from the website www.childhoodpoverty.org  I chose India, because I was very empowered by all the campaigns and programs that the organization CARE was doing to help reduce poverty and empower women within the states of India. 

An estimated 400 million of India’s population are between the ages of 0-18, and almost half of all children (about 62 million) under the age of five are malnourished, and 34 percent of newborns are significantly underweight (www.chilhoodpoverty.org).  India continues to face a rapidly growing rate of population, harsh living environments, high communicable chances for disease, low school enrollment, lack of effort to make schools inclusive and not enough access to high quality teaching and education for children and families.  Unfortunately, while school enrolment rates amongst girls have improved, ongoing gender discrimination leads to lower rates of school attendance among girls, less exposure to the outside world, and an emphasis on domestic skills (www.childhoodpoverty.org). 

The CARE Shouhardo Project continues to empower women in becoming active participants within their child’s education and this has also led women to speak out about family planning, use of savings and loans for the future, and buying clothes for themselves and their children.  Women’s support groups by the Shouhardo Project also educated women on early marriages, violence against women, mobility within where they live, and led women to confidently make decisions for the entire family.  In women doing more for their family, stunting growth in children also decreased from 56.1 percent in February 2006 to 40.4 percent in November 2009 (www.care.org). 

I have been naïve in not truly understanding what little rights women have in other parts of the world.  In some ways I can connect with these women (on a very small scale of course) because growing up I lived on a small farm in which my mother took on the domestic role within our household.  My parents continued to tell me how important going to school was, but since my parents had little education, homework was very difficult and school participation was minimal.  I made it thoughJ  I was one of the first cousins to graduate and receive my BA in education, and I am the first to pursue a graduate degree, so I am proud to say I am paving the way.  I support the CARE organization as I hope all women will soon be able to “see the light” in advocating and educating themselves and their children.    

5 comments:

  1. Sorry that you didn’t have any success with international contacts. What an interesting review of the material you’ve presented. I have not considered gender discrimination for girls even though I did know it existed. India has chosen to keep women suppressed by not educating them. How horrible! I realize that discrimination of minorities were at a pinnacle in the United States at one time. I am glad that it is no longer like that because that means people just like you and I would not have this opportunity to be educated. As educators, we need to empower all of our students especially those who come from poverty stricken circumstances. Your parents were a great inspiration and support for you by encouraging you to go to school. They knew how many opportunities would be available to you as a graduate. I’m glad you made it through and are pursuing a higher degree.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Tammy,
    Poverty is India’s biggest challenge. As an Indian, I am sad that there is nothing much we can do to combat this issue. Efforts are going on at various levels but the problem is India is too large a country with the second highest population growth in the world. Poverty, illiteracy, high fertility rate, rapid decline in death rates or mortality rates and immigration from neighboring countries are some of the reasons for India's rapidly growing population. Poverty and population growth are so intertwined that with such a large number such an issue as poverty, I will not say never can be reached, but only can be slowly achieved as a long term goal. There are various efforts like national family planning and reserving seats for the economically weaker sections of the society for government jobs and schools and colleges which is hoped to alleviate poverty sometime in the future. With economic reforms India has gained economic prosperity only it is uneven, not distributed evenly across all sections of the society. With an emphasize on education mainly on the weaker section of the society, in family planning, teaching them life skills and stressing on quality of life I think more can be achieved.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I feel much better knowing I'm not the only one in luck of finding a international contact (although I was eager to do it). However I love the CARE program that India has. With the women speaking upon the issues there should be some improvements made towards poverty. Two ideas I liked about the program were the use of savings for the future and the buying of clothes.

    I too am the first of my cousins to purse a B.S. now the first of anyone in my family to pursue a Masters. It motivates to want to do more. It proves I'm a leader.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Tammy,

    Excellent review of the article. Sometimes we forget that in other parts of the world women do not have the right of education and self-sufficiency. It is unfortunate that so many children are suffering for lack of food, health, clothes, etc. I am very glad that CARE is doing their work to educate the women and teach them basic life skills. You got me interested in CARE.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Tammy,
    I enjoyed your post. I did not realize that the poverty in India was that extensive. I think the information you provided was excellent! Honestly, I rarely think about the treatment of women in other parts of the world. Your review of the CARE project is super. I applaud organizations with such a commitment.

    Congratulations for paving the way in your own family with continuing education!

    Kristi

    ReplyDelete