My Two Beautiful
Daughters-
I remember when I
was pregnant with my first daughter. It seemed that every mom I talked with had
a personal birthing story to share. Some
stories were very detailed, some were hilarious, and some scared me. Nevertheless, my husband was my rock in
comforting me, easing my worries, and always knew the right thing to say. When I became pregnant for the second time, I
had more confidence in myself and worried less since I knew what to expect. From personal experience, I am able to share
similarities and differences to another part of the world since my first
daughter was born in the Netherlands, and my other daughter was born in
Germany. During both prenatal doctor
visits, none of the doctors encouraged me to take a daily vitamin containing
folic acid. I didn’t think it was important,
and since my doctor didn’t mention anything I thought I would be fine. Everything worked out, but after reading the
Berger text, “the entire 6 weeks of the embryonic stage can be called a
critical period for physical structure and form, with the specifics varying
somewhat week by week” (Berger, 2009 pg. 104 ).
I feel that folic acid is highly recommended (and should be) within the U.S. and in 1996
a new law required folic acid to be added to foods such as cereals and bread (Berger,
2009 pg. 107). However, I feel that the European
countries do not place as large of an importance in taking a multivitamin
(folic acid) as in the United States.
Taking proper precautions during pregnancy will highly impact childhood
development as they grow.
The actual birthing experiences for both
my daughters were great. Great people,
support, and very knowledgeable.
However, the individuals who delivered my daughters were different. I had a doctor deliver my first child, and a
doula or a midwife to deliver my second.
If I were to have another child, I would choose to have a midwife, or
doula deliver my child. The only persons
in the room were my husband, midwife, and I.
She tried various techniques such as lying in bed, trying an exercise
ball, or sitting in the whirlpool when easing my pain. My midwife was a great coach, and I felt safe
with her. She also continued to remind
me that if I wanted to breastfeed my daughter that I needed to ensure that I
ask the nurses to help me. This is
something that I didn’t do with my first child, and I had no clue what I was
doing. There didn’t have a lactation consultant…every
nurse gave a bit of their advice which was a bit frustrating. The after-care was what was also very
different for me with each of my daughters.
In Holland, you deliver your child, and go home the same day. However, they feel that the best place to
care for your child or bond with your child is at home. Therefore, you are assigned a midwife within
the area that you live and a midwife comes to your home. Each pregnancy is different, therefore the
midwife may come anywhere from one to four weeks after birth.
In Germany, they
recommend that you stay in the hospital for 3-5 days for normal delivery, and
longer depending on the delivery of your child.
During this time, I feel that this allowed me time to bond with
my daughter, yet ask the questions I needed to in order to feel confident when
caring for my newborn. I know for me,
this was very important in bonding with my child, and raising my
self-confidence as a mother.
In conclusion, during
both my pregnancies I had similar experiences in that my doctors did not
recommend or discuss taking a folic acid supplement. My actual deliveries were both very unique
and special, however, I feel that during my second stay at the hospital, I was
able to build a greater confidence, which led to a happier mother who could
relax and actually enjoy the time with my infant.
Resources:
Berger, K. S. (2009). The developing person through
childhood. (5 ed.). Worth Publishers.
Dear Tammy,
ReplyDeleteThanks for sharing your personal experience. I haven't had a childbirth experience yet. As I was reading your delivery in the Netherlands with a doula I felt how personal and convenient it must have felt to have an experienced person come to your house and give you a personal care. However I couldn't help but think what if some complications happened during delivery? Was she equipped? Was it an option to call an ambulance to go to the hospital or was it really far from any medical center?
thanks,
Maryam
Tammy,
ReplyDeleteI enjoyed reading of your personal experiences. I cannot imagine what and how you were feeling because of being in different places at the times of your daughters births, respectively. In my area, there are alot of Amish and other 'plain' church settlements. Their general rule of thumb and practice is home births with midwives. That idea scares me to bits. I have a friend that is a midwife and has delievered many babies at home. She suggests to expecting couples to have a detailed discussion on the what if's and how to's so that in the event the worse case happens , they are as prepared as possible. I am wondering did you get similar advice in your experience? In America, we are certainly blessed to have many options that other places are not. Thank you for sharing your story.