When
my two daughters were born, I didn’t think twice in having my children
vaccinated. I feel it is my
responsibility as a parent to keep my children healthy, and to protect them in
ways I cannot always control….diseases that linger unexpectantly. As a special education educator, I am
frequently asked the controversial question, “Do vaccines relate to the
increase in autism?” However, my heart
feels strongly in educating parents to vaccinate their children. My two nieces are not vaccinated, and their
parents feel strongly in practicing homeopathic ways, and they feel strongly that vaccines are
closely related to autism. All I can do
is offer my knowledge, and pray that my nieces continue to be safe and
healthy.
In researching immunizations around the world, I
came across the RED (Reaching Every District) project in helping five specific
African regions increase immunizations within DRC (Democratic Republic of
Congo), Ethiopia, Madagascar, Zimbabwe, and Kenya. According to the Journal of Public Health, the African region (AFR) had approximately
1 million vaccine-preventable disease (VPD) deaths that were estimated to have
occurred among children less than 5 years of age, representing 43% of VPD
deaths globally (Ryman, Macauley, Nshimirimana, Taylor, Shimp,& Wilkins,
2009). It makes my heart break knowing
that these very young children will never have a life to enjoy because odds are
against them. Therefore, (WHO)-UNICEF
discovered that most children within the African regions were not fully
immunized for diphtheria–pertussis–tetanus
(DPT)
(Ryman, Macauley, Nshimirimana, Taylor, Shimp,& Wilkins, 2009), and decided to make a difference in reaching out to them. Ryman, T., Macauley, R., Nshimirimana, D., Taylor. P., Shimp, L., & Wilkins, K.
(2009). Reaching
Every District (RED) Approach to Strengthen Routine
Immunization Services: Evaluation in the
African Region. Jounal of Public Health,
1-8. doi:10.1093/pubmed/fdp048
http://www.who.int/immunization/sage/8_Reaching_every_district_RED_approach_strengthen.pdf
Dear Tammy,
ReplyDeleteThe number of children who do no have access to proper vaccination is really high, on the other hand there are parents who can easily have their child vaccinated but refuse to do so. I respect that it is personal choice but the aftermaths are great and we as educators should encourage parents to have their children vaccinated and immune against life-threatening diseases. "The risk posed by the diseases are far greater than the risks from immunization" (Berger, 2009).
Reference:
Berger, K. S. (2009). The developing person through childhood. (5th ed.). New York: Worth Pub.
Maryam
Tammy,
ReplyDeleteThank you for this information. I can certainly understand the fear that parents have due to conflicting reports regarding autism and vaccines. In working with parents of children with autism, I can appreciate the desperation they have to find a cause or a reason for their child seemingly disappearing overnight. It is heartbreaking. The Center for Disease Control references studies indicating there is no association between vaccines containing thimerosal and the onset of autism, thus no reason to avoid well-child shots.(http://www.cdc.gov/vaccinesafety/Concerns/Autism/Index.html) The risks of not getting vaccinated are not only to the child, but to our society. We need to tread carefully in efforts to respect parent's concerns and yet encourage what has been proven to be best practice for good health.
Center of Disease Control,