The word “systems” captures the idea of a change in one part of a person, family, or society that affects all the other aspects because each part is connected (Berger, 2009). When a child’s way of life consists of strong family ties, cooperative relationships, and positive influences this intertwines with the child’s ability to flourish within all areas of development.
When I think about how an “ism” would affect my personal life, as well as my work with young children and families, I often think about how life would be if I were part of the LGBT community. I often reflect on this as my lesbian friends often deal with these day to day struggles of stereotyping because they are lesbian. They try not to take things too personal, but it’s unfortunate that they continue to face stereotyping because society excludes them as they are not what society sees as the “traditional family.” Microaggressions reflect views of inferiority, superiority and excludes a person’s racial heritage or behaviors to cause stress or harm (Laureate Education Inc., 2011). This stress or harm can negatively affect a person’s day to day activities to the point of spiritual or psychological harm.
I will never truly understand what gay and lesbian individuals face within their daily interactions, but through conversations with my friend it doesn’t seem easy. My friend’s partner works as the librarian at a school and there are “individuals that accept you and there are others that avoid you like the plague” (personal communication, 2013). I feel these “isms” might affect my relationships due to other people’s biases and/or experiences. Growing up my father modeled strong biases towards the Asian population and I feel this affected my relationships with this cultural group. If my colleagues and parents did not feel comfortable with my identity, this would make it difficult in creating strong relationships with families. It would be difficult for parents to trust, respect and communicate openly with me. This would also affect my emotionally as I enjoy relating to others, doing what’s best for each family and bridging partnerships.
As Hoffman stated, “Not every family will respond and open up to you, but we shouldn’t take it personally” (Laureate Education Inc., 2011). We must carry on and do what we think is best for ourselves, our students and society.
References
Berger, K. (2009). The Developing Person Through Childhood. New York, NY:
Worth Publisher.
Laureate Education Inc. (2011). “Learning about Family Structures and Fairness”
[course media].
Laureate Education, Inc. (2011). Microaggressions in everyday life [Course media].
Personal communications. (2013). [interview].
Thank you for shaving your story. Would it be a challenge for you to work with parents or families who are part of the gay/lesbian community? Do you think you would find yourself having sympathy for them because you understand your friends struggle? I believed that I would have sympathy for my families who shared the same "isms" as me. It is my goal as a professional to have empathy for all my families.
ReplyDeleteAs early childhood professionals it should be our goal to not only have empathy for our families but do what we can to help them meet their needs as a family. When it comes to the gay/lesbian community do you see a challenge or think as a professional and move beyond your own personal bias?
ReplyDeleteThanks for sharing.