Thursday, June 07, 2012

My Supports

My Supports---

Encouragement, wisdom, patience, hugs, listening, confiding, hugs, laughter, and helping are all words that come to mind when I think of what defines support.  In living overseas, and working for the military, our support systems are constantly changing in the fact that people come and go.  I feel I have 2 systems of support… I have a support group that can support me in the “here and now,” and a support group that encourages me through technology.  The “here and now” group provides me with the support I need both emotionally and physically while the long distance support can really only support me emotionally. 
On an average day, my biggest supporters are my daughters’ childcare providers, my co-workers, my husband, and my in-laws who live here in Germany as well.  They all provide emotional support in that they listen to my concerns, help collaborate ideas, encourage me to do things I am sometimes hesitant to do, help me see things from a different perspective, and respect me for who I am regardless of my weaknesses.  I also have my husband to help me physically in helping to care of our two daughters, taking out the garbage (which I hate!) and fixes things around the house. 

If I didn’t have these supports, I would be miserable, lonely, and unhappy.  There are days when I feel alone, feel like a failure, make mistakes, and unsure of the choices I am making within the journey of life.  Therefore, it is wonderful to have friends and family that I can count on to lift my spirits, yet do not critise my feelings.  It is extremely difficult in living overseas and wanting the physical support from your loved ones, but we have to push forward and find what support systems work for our life styles.        

3 comments:

  1. Hello, Tammy! Very well said! I think it is great that you defined your two systems of support. I also liked how you discussed respect from your support group. It sounds as if they are a caring group of individuals! Great post!

    Kristi

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Tammy,

    I think it's important that you mentioned your daughter's child care providers as your supports as well. I get upset when I hear people refer to child care providers as babysitters! I've worked with them for the past 4 1/2 years to know that they are anything but babysitters! They're teachers, nurses, janitors, counselors, and cooks. I value and respect their work because they are dedicated and committed to children. I also value my son's preschool teacher who has impacted his early childhood. He cried during his preschool graduation ceremony during the slideshow because he was going to miss his teacher and saw so many good memories! I value her support and am so glad that he had such a positive relationship with her because that will impact the relationships he creates with others.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great supporters you have. I recognized my daughters childcare as well. It makes a difference when you have someone that can relieve you of mommy duty while you handle neccessary business.

    ReplyDelete