My hope for children around the world is that they embrace who they are and flourish through their strengths in order to feel powerful and competent within society. I wish to create an optimal, intercultural learning environment so each child, as well as family, are visible within their classroom. My hope is that all educators embrace anti-bias education so children can live in a world in which all have equal opportunity to become all they can be (Derman-Sparks & Edwards, 2010). I continue to think about my childhood growing up and often wonder if my outlook might have been different had someone taken the time to focus on my strengths, embraced my differences, and openly talked about what is fair. It's my turn to be that person...I want to model, embrace, and build upon each child's strengths and potential.
I want to say thank you to everyone in supporting this journey and helping it to be a successful one. I have learned so much from all of you and what a wonderful group of dedicated educators! You have helped me deepen my reflections, open my awareness, and make change. We are almost there! Hope to see you all in 2014! Have a restful, holiday break….
Tammy
References
Derman-Sparks, L., & Edwards, J. O. (2010). Anti-bias education for young children
and
ourselves. Washington, DC: National Association for the Education of Young
Children (NAEYC).
Tammy,
ReplyDeleteThank you for all your support throughout the course. I appreciate your thoughtful post and discussions. I believe that you will be a very successful early childhood educator and bring success to your students. I wish you much success as you continue your journey into becoming an early childhood professional.