Saturday, October 12, 2013

Week 6

Growing up, silence was very common and encouraged by my parents. Since my father often went to the VA clinic for check-ups, surgeries and medication, I often times remember being scared of the other veterans at the clinic. I particularly remember one time I waited in the waiting room with my father and I saw an older gentleman mumbling over and over to himself as he rocked back and forth looking up at me several times. I was scared and when I asked my father what’s the matter with this gentleman, my father told me to “be nice.” I didn’t think I was being mean, but I was scared. I wanted assurance that I was safe and that he wouldn’t hurt me because he acted differently than the others waiting in the waiting room. I dreaded going to the clinic because I never knew who I would see and always felt uncomfortable around the other patients. I’m sure they were very nice individuals, but many times I saw individuals whose physical appearances were different from what I was used to, as well as how they responded to me. Many of the gentlemen (I remember mostly men), wanted to have conversations with me, but again, because I wasn’t sure how to act or feel, I often times shrugged them off and ignored them.

Now looking back, I wish my father would have explained to me why many of the gentlemen, as well as my dad, often needed to go to this clinic and why some of the individuals looked or acted differently. All of these men/women deserve nothing but respect and honor in defending our country. When we are silent, we are encouraging the child to become prejudice (Laureate Education Inc., 2011). This particular experience was not in a classroom, but I feel it is an underlining reason why I decided to be a special education teacher. Knowledge about and connection to people with disabilities reduces the likelihood of fear and discomfort when the inevitably encounter disabilities in the future (Derman-Sparks & Edwards, 2010).

There are many times my daughter, who is 6 years old, visits my classroom and asks, “Why is this doll in a wheelchair?” “Why do these cards have pictures on them?” or “Why is this on the pencil” I always remind myself to be honest and open to help my daughter understand using vocabulary she is able to make sense out of. I hope through my daughter’s experiences that one day she can advocate and empower herself and others in what is right.

References:
Derman-Sparks, L., & Edwards, J. O. (2010). Anti-bias education for young children and ourselves. 
     Washington, DC: National Association for the Education of Young Children (NAEYC).

Laureate Education, Inc. (Producer). (2011). Family Cultures: Dynamic Interactions [video].

2 comments:

  1. Tammy,
    I can understand being scared in a different place, especially around people who appear be scary. As a little child we see things differently than when we became adults, so what we saw as a child was scary and as an adult, just something that happens in life. I believe if more parents would explain to their children that everyone is different and go through different things. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for sharing. Yes as I mentioned on another blog. I often as a parent don't have all the words to use to explain things to my children (my own children). They ask questions at the most inappropriate times. I know it is because they are curious and are learning. I do somewhat of a good job explaining. When I see issue in my class that need to be address we address it right away during circle, before outside time, or before they leave for the day. I want to be more proactive and introduce difficult topics before they arise.

    ReplyDelete