To complete this assignment, I asked 3 colleagues/friends to
define what culture and what diversity means to them. Watching their reactions when I asked them
these questions were priceless. “What? “You want me to do what?” “For what?” “Why?” One was nervous because she wasn’t sure she
would get the right “answer,” the other had to think for a bit because she expressed
she always viewed them as the “same,” and with my closest colleague, these
questions turned into sharing and exchanging experiences living in different
parts of the world.
One friend defined culture to include a person’s background
and its traditions and practices. Living in Montana, she experienced many
traditions through the Native American culture.
Diversity was explained through “differences.” One’s religious beliefs,
ethics, dislikes, etc…whatever characteristics made them different from one
another.
Another friend defined culture in celebrating our way of
life. What foods we eat, what clothes we
wear, our religious beliefs, holiday traditions and how we are diverse or makes
us different from other individuals. Diversity
was included in her definition of culture.
My friend who is German, defined culture as how we
live. What makes us unique, what we believe
in, what we value, our strengths and weaknesses, and what makes us “whole.” The definition of diversity was recognizing
and embracing differences amongst others and the children we teach. By respecting and being open about one’s
differences, we are excepting the “diverseness” in each other.
In reviewing my answers, I am starting to recognize how
people view culture with some means of “external culture.” Some answers included dislikes, likes, and
values, but most focused on what they see from observing (i.e. holiday
traditions, clothes, the food we eat). I
am learning that culture is more than that. It’s our unconscious way of living
and the identity which makes us who we are.
Our cultural identity influences how we live our other social identities
(i.e. economic, gender, sexual orientation, etc.) (Derman-Sparks &
Edwards-Olsen, 2010). After reflection, I
am gaining a better understanding of culture and diversity. Before taking this course, I would have been
the person to combine my definition into one, as it would have been hard for me
to differentiate the two. I have learned
that culture refers to how particular goups of people live, how we express it
within our group, or as an individual (Derman-Sparks & Edwards-Olsen,
2010). Diversity is respecting,
accepting, being mindful, and being open about one’s differences. I am beginning to see beyond the “surface
culture” and going beyond the tip of the iceberg.
References
Derman-Sparks, L., &
Edwards, J. O. (2010). Anti-bias education for young children and ourselves.
Washington, DC: National Association for the Education of Young Children
(NAEYC).
Hi Tammy, Your friends' concepts about culture are interesting. Apparently most people can give a definition of what culture is and seemingly understand that there are differences. As you rightly pointed out the problem would therefore be for everyone to go beyond the surface culture to avoid the conflicts beneath the tip of the cultural iceberg so to say. It was good reading your blog..
ReplyDeleteHi Tammy, your friends’ definitions are quite interesting. Indeed, it is true that culture defines people rather than people define culture. Certainly, I strongly agree that it is imperative for people to go beyond the surface culture and see individuals for who they really are. Moreover, we should be aware of our own cultural limitations and make every attempt to empathetically understand the cultural attributes of others.
ReplyDeleteHello Tammy,
ReplyDeleteI really enjoyed reading you and your friends definitions of culture and diversity. Like you, I too am learning a better or more clearer definition of culture and diversity. Thanks for asking the friends you asked and thanks for sharing your story with us.
I was the same way before this class, culture and diversity were easily lumped into one catagory. Now that I know more I was actually surprised at the answers that I received, even though I am sure my answers would have been very similar and vague prior to this course.
ReplyDeleteTammy,
ReplyDeleteI almost faced the same situation. Of all the people I asked some refused to answer, some were not sure if their answer was "right". I also noticed from the definition I got that many still see culture at its surface or as stereotypes. little or no attention is given to the deep culture and how that affects us and creates diversity. Thank you for your post!
Maryam