In thinking about families, children, and reflecting upon my
various personal teaching experiences, I have never really participated directly
in a research study as an educator. However,
I do vaguely remember being part of multiple questionnaires that my mother and
I participated in that focused on children and the effects of war. Since my father suffered from post traumatic
stress due to the Vietnam War, questions were asked to learn more about the link between the types of behaviors children display due
to emotional circumstances. Again, these
were very vague memories, but I do remember being scared because the man asking
me the questions was a complete stranger and I felt uneasy about talking to him
about my feelings. But, my mother
assured me it was fine, so I went with it.
We only met a couple times, but looking back I hope the research
gathered was used to help other children who had similar childhood
experiences as myself. If I could use my
knowledge, experience, and skill to research a particular early childhood topic,
it would be to find a cure for Autism, or the causes of it. I continue to ponder the effects of Autism
and the controversial topic of whether or not Autism is genetic or is caused by
various vaccinations that are given before the age of 2. The contributions of finding a cure for
Autism, or finding ways in which we can prevent autism would bring relief to
millions of parents, and continue to help find ways to assist children in becoming
productive citizens of society.
Finding a cure for Autism would be a blessing world wide for teachers, parents and children who suffer from this . Research can and will find out the reasons for this and it maybe form multiple sources including environmental. Great post, thank you.
ReplyDeleteTammy,
ReplyDeleteI think your experience made it a positive situation since your mother was by your side and insisted that it would be okay to participate in the questionnaire. As parents, it's very important to take into consideration whether or not your child would be affected by the research experience. I agree, finding a cure for Autism would be a great relief for many children and families. Have you been successful in finding any research on your simulation that is culturally and developmentally appropriate?