Saturday, May 12, 2012

Relationship Reflection



The first and most important relationship I have is with my husband, Chris.  When they say, “for better or for worse,” I can truly relate!  Through our experiences and obstacles throughout life, it's how we deal with them that makes our relationship stronger.  Chris has taught me to be persistent in achieving my goals, and has strengthened my self-confidence.  I tend to criticize myself the most, and hate stepping on anyone’s toes.  He always tells me, “See, I knew you could do it…You’re awesome!”  


My best friend Sam is the sister I never had.  We met in college, and have been best friends ever since.  She has taught me how to love with an open heart, see the bottle half full, and appreciate the small things in life.  Since I live overseas, I am not able to spend as much time with her as I would like to, but it’s amazing how our conversations and letters keep our relationship strong.  Sam is always there to listen and give me the strength I need to carry on whatever it is I am struggling with at that time within my life.


Growing up my brother and I didn’t have the ideal childhood, but we made the best of what our parents knew.  Our relationship has had its struggles, but we keep moving forward in forgiving the past.  We are now able to communicate openly and honestly with trust.  I am very excited for him as he is getting married this September, and it is such a wonderful feeling to see my brother happy!
Relationships have always been hard for me in opening up, maintaining them, and trusting the people around me.  Growing up, I didn’t have many models to learn from and didn’t have the ideal relationship with my parents.  My husband has helped me to see what truly defines a good relationship, to listen to my feelings and that it’s okay to talk about them.  I now follow my gut and my heart in doing what’s best for me and my family, and that seems to be working.  I want to offer my daughter’s the role model I never had, and to teach them the importance of a support system which are the people who love you for you!  I also have a wonderful support system at school with my colleagues.  They help me celebrate my successes, listen when I need to vent, and never judge me.  Just as children need a support system (teachers, parents, and community), we also need a supportive unit of loved ones to help us regulate our needs before helping the needs of our students or loved ones.         


3 comments:

  1. Tammy,

    I agree so much with your statement, "we also need a supportive unit of loved ones to help us regulate our needs before helping the needs of our students or loved ones."

    I never really had any support until I met my husband, we were only 15. My family didn't give me much support, my mother especially would tell me that I couldn't achieve things like getting a college degree and raise a family. I did just that and she says she is proud of me but I'm not sure.

    Working with the families of these children and going into their homes, I observe what it is like for them with their families. Being able to this this I hope that I am able to make a difference not only in the lives of the children but the family as well.

    I enjoyed your post and your husband sounds a lot like mine.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tammy,

    That is very amazing that your husband gives you the support in life to continue to achieve your goals and increases your self-confidence. Having someone to show you the support and words of advice is so important to have. I am happy that you have such an amazing relationship in your life.

    Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tammy,

    That is very amazing that your husband gives you the support in life to continue to achieve your goals and increases your self-confidence. Having someone to show you the support and words of advice is so important to have. I am happy that you have such an amazing relationship in your life.

    Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete